----------------------------Original message---------------------------- ------------------ Greetings=21 For most of you, this week marks the end of a very busy semester and I = imagine you have been right out straight a good part of it. I hope, however, that = you have had a few moments to lookover the preliminary program for the = Pittsburgh conference. Please note that our annual division business meeting will be = on Sunday, March 19th at 9am and that we are sponsoring two =22Ask ARLIS=22 = sessions this year, both on Monday, the 20th. Ask ARLIS 4 =22Creative Multiples: Artists' Books as Teaching Tools=22 Ask ARLIS 5 =22From Collaboration to Consortia: Developing Partnerships=22 There will also be a tour of Carnegie Mellon University on Friday, the 17th. An update on division business: Strategic Plan: In September, a list of recommendations was sent to the Strategic Plan task force, regarding the omission of the Art and Design School Division from the= old Strategic Plan. These recommendations were based on Mary Manning's = (Moderator 1995) previous memo on the subject and a currenet review of the action = items. While it is unlikely that changes will actually be made to the text of the = old Strategic Plan, we need to state for the record how our division has = supported the goals of the old plan, even though we were not included in it. Then, we need to move forward and take an active part in the discussion of the new = plan. In January, after the holiday rush has passed and Y2K dust has settled, I = will be sending a memo regarding the old Strategic Plan and the major issues that will be considered in the new Strategic Plan. In the meantime, be sure to = look at the survey responses on the AWS. Status of the =22Travelling Notebook=22 or =22Big Binder=22 of library = handouts: After the conference in Philadelphia, the handouts were disassembled and = sent back to their originators with lists of those requesting copies. Some of = you also gave permission for copies of your handouts to be sent to the LOEX Clearinghouse for Library Instruction. Those of you who would like to see = this binder continued should consider bringing your latest handouts to the = Pittsburgh conference. Anyone interested in coordinating this effort, please let me = know prior to the conference. It was also suggested that we include handouts on institutional statistics, internet resources and web tutorials. In the = future, we might also want to handle these kinds of exchanges on our division = website. Nominations for division moderator-elect: Thanks to Karen McKenzie's recent call for nominations, we have Jill = Patrick, Ontario College of Art and Design on our slate. We will continue to take nominations before and at our business meeting in Pittsburgh. Division website: Kari Horowicz says a draft of our division website may be ready some time in mid-January. Thank you Kari for working so hard on this. I'll be getting back to you all in January with further information on the Strategic Plan and some thoughts about past and future conference programs. = In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday and a restful break. Cheers, Laurie Whitehill Chong Moderator, Art and Design School Division Rhode Island School of Design Library lwhitehi=40risd.edu __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]