----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hello Moira: Subject: Books that come with CD-ROMs The Art Institute of Seattle's collection includes a growing number of these hybrids, especially for how-to computer books, like "Adobe something classroom in a book." If the CD-ROM is an integral part of the book, the loan period for the book and accompanying CD is the same (in our case, 7 days with unlimited renewals for students and quarter length loans for faculty.) If the CD-ROM is a stand alone database, e.g., National Geographic 19xx to 19xx, it's library use only. We charge fines to students who don't return items, but none (for now) to faculty. We set up the loan rules to automatically calculate within our circulation system. The CD-ROMs have a different bar code from the book, but the call number is the same, except it's preceded by the code "CD-ROM," e.g., CD-ROM QA 1234 .B5 1999. We put a label on the CD-ROM pocket in the back of the book that says something like: "Ask for accompanying CD-ROM at the circulation desk, call #..." We store CD-ROMs in Call # order in a rack behind the desk. If the book/CD-ROM is lost, we bill the unlucky soul our standard book replacement fee of $50. After all, it's nearly impossible to just replace the CD-ROM without the accompanying book. As far as replacement is concerned, at least with somewhat epheremal type things like software guides, by the time you want to replace it, it's been superceded by the next upgrade, so we go ahead and buy the book for the next version (so long as that's the version being taught by our instructors.) Actually, I'm facing one of these replacement issues right now, for an out-of-print item that is still the version being taught. So I think I'll be doing my first request on www.alibris.com (oop vendor). Best wishes Cathy Donaldson Library Director Art Institute of Seattle __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]