Hello Moira:

Subject: Books that come with CD-ROMs

The Art Institute of Seattle's collection includes a growing number of these
hybrids, especially for how-to computer books, like "Adobe something
classroom in a book." If the CD-ROM is an integral part of the book, the
loan period for the book and accompanying CD is the same (in our case, 7
days with unlimited renewals for students and quarter length loans for
faculty.) If the CD-ROM is a stand alone database, e.g., National Geographic
19xx to 19xx, it's library use only. We charge fines to students who don't
return items, but none (for now) to faculty. We set up the loan rules to
automatically calculate within our circulation system. The CD-ROMs have a
different bar code from the book, but the call number is the same, except
it's preceded by the code "CD-ROM," e.g., CD-ROM QA 1234 .B5 1999. We put a
label on the CD-ROM pocket in the back of the book that says something like:
"Ask for accompanying CD-ROM at the circulation desk, call #..." We store
CD-ROMs in Call # order in a rack behind the desk. If the book/CD-ROM is
lost, we bill the unlucky soul our standard book replacement fee of $50.
After all, it's nearly impossible to just replace the CD-ROM without the
accompanying book. As far as replacement is concerned, at least with
somewhat epheremal type things like software guides, by the time you want to
replace it, it's been superceded by the next upgrade, so we go ahead and buy
the book for the next version (so long as that's the version being taught by
our instructors.) Actually, I'm facing one of these replacement issues right
now, for an out-of-print item that is still the version being taught. So I
think I'll be doing my first request on www.alibris.com (oop vendor).

Best wishes

Cathy Donaldson
Library Director