Moira,

Here at Bobst (NYU) Library we get many books accompanied by cd-roms.
We have posted our policy for handling this type of material to our
web site at:

http://www.nyu.edu/library/bobst/research/tsd/cat/bkcdrom.htm

Please be advised that this policy was drawn up in 1997, but should
still reflect our current policy.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Bill