We are planning a project to digitize our slide collection.  Although
creating CD-ROMs was initially proposed by our dean, I think it would be
better to create a database directly on a server.  This database could then
be accessed in the classrooms through our OPAC's web site.  We have about
100,000 slides and I suspect that while the project is underway, we will
continue to make slides as well as new digital images of the same
reproduction until the digitization of the old slides is complete and all of
our faculty are comfortable using this technology.

My questions are these:  Do any of you have any server and software
recommendations for an image database?  How large a server is needed to
store projectionable images for a collection of this size (i.e., how much
space per image is needed?  Would it be better to use a digital camera
rather than a slide scanner, and if so, what kind and what other peripheral
equipment is needed?

I'm sure that others have undertaken a project like this, and I would be
grateful for any insights, recommendations, or suggestions.  Also, please
tell me if I am way off base here--this is not my field of expertise!

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  You may reply directly to me or to
the list--your answers to the list in response to other members' questions
have often been of value to me and others may be facing a task similar to
mine!

Lynell Morr
CCS Library
Center for Creative Studies