----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear ARLIS/NA friends, I need your help! After months of looking for a new Readers Services Librarian, I have gotten the salary raised to $36,000 and I'm re-posting it. Our library is dynamic and growing; we are open to the public and have between 5,000 - 7,000 users per year. Our book budget is a healthy $130,000 and periodicals budget is $45,000 per year. Houston is a dynamic city with a very strong contemporary arts scene. Please call me if you have questions about it at 713-639-7326. Jeannette Dixon Hirsch Library Museum of Fine Arts, Houston ______________________________________________________ Reader Services Librarian 11/22/99 JD The Hirsch Library of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is seeking candidates for the position of Reader Services Librarian. This position manages all reader services, including reference and research services, bibliographic instruction, circulation, stacks supervision, and Interlibrary Loan service to the museum professional staff. In conjunction with the Librarian, sets reader services policies and priorities; assists in preparing the annual budget; assists in planning for the expanded library facility; and assists with collection development. The Reader Services Librarian manages the production of necessary reader information resources including content for signage, web pages, brochures, etc.; trains, supervises and schedules the reader services staff and volunteers; and provides reference service at the desk on a regularly scheduled basis. The Reader Services librarian reports to the Librarian and Electronic Communications Director, supervises the Library Assistant for Serials, and co-supervises the Assistant Librarian for Cataloging and Reference. Qualifications: A Master's in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program; 3 - 5 years of public service in a museum or university library preferred; some supervisory experience; knowledge of art history and research methodology (advanced degree preferred); good computer skills for the set up of on-line resources; experience using the RLIN database for reference and Interlibrary Loan preferred; knowledge of at least one foreign language; excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; ability to teach bibliographic instruction to both individuals and groups. Salary: Starting salary is $36,000. Benefits include TIAA-CREF, comprehensive health plan, 11 paid holidays and 20 vacation days per year. The Hirsch Library collection consists of 100,000+ items. The library is open to the public 44 hours per week, and to the museum staff 49 hours per week. The on-line system installed last November is Endeavor's Voyager. The library is funded by a generous endowment established in 1981 by General Maurice and Winifred Hirsch. Approximately 6,000 items are added to the collection each year. Within the next year and a half, the library will be undergoing a major expansion that will double its current size. In March of 2000, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston is opening a new building designed by the Spanish architect, Raphael Moneo. The library's primary users are the museum's professional staff, which includes 13 curators and the education department. The library reflects the institution's encyclopedic art collections that range from antiquities to twentieth century decorative arts. __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]