From: Hildegard Lindschinger =3Chlindsch=40wlu.ca=3E
To: =3CARLIS-L=40LSV.UKY.EDU=3E
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 1999 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: Victor Hartmann and Mussorgsky

=3E ----------------------------Original message----------------------------
=3E ------------------
=3E Hi=21
=3E What a coincidence. Recently I had a request for slides from an =
orchestra
=3E that wanted have images projected on a screen during the performance of
this
=3E piece, so here is what I found
=3E (no slides, by the way=21 :-) )
=3E An illustrated book:  Russ, Michael.  Musorgsky: Pictures and an
Exhibition.
=3E Cambridge (England)=3B Cambridge University Press, 1992.
=3E Someone also directed me to this website, =22Russisches Musikarchiv=22. =
Have a
=3E look at it=3B it's great.-
=3E  http://www.russisches-musikarchiv.de/
=3E On the sidebar, click on =22Auszug: Mussorgskis Bilder einer =
Ausstellung=22
=3E If you can read German, you will find a lot of useful information about
the
=3E artist, the composer and their works. The text explains that =
Mussorgsky's
=3E music was freely inspired by the pictures, of which only a few are still
=3E extant and are depicted on this site.  If you can't read German, enjoy =
the
=3E pictures=21 :-).  They are:
=3E -Costume design for =22Trilby=22
=3E -2 single drawings of Polish Jews, one rich, one poor
=3E -Drawing of Hartmann in the catacombs of Paris
=3E -The Clock / Hut of Baba-Jaga
=3E -The Great Gate of Kiev
=3E
=3E I hope this helps. Good luck=21
=3E -
=3E Hildegard Lindschinger
=3E Slide Curator
=3E Wilfrid Laurier University Library, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3C5
=3E Email: hlindsch=40wlu.ca
=3E Telephone: (519)884-0710, x3444   Fax:519-884-8023
=3E
=3E
=3E Ese Markussen wrote:
=3E
=3E =3E ----------------------------Original =
message----------------------------
=3E =3E ------------------
=3E =3E Hello
=3E =3E We are looking for colour illustrations of the works of the Russian
=3E =3E architect and painter Victor Hartmann that in 1874 inspired =
Mussorgsky
=3E =3E to compose his =22Pictures at an exhibition=22. Can anybody help?
=3E =3E
=3E =3E Best regards
=3E =3E =C5se Markussen
=3E =3E Universitetsbibliotekar (Academic librarian)
=3E =3E
=3E =3E Biblioteket (The Library)
=3E =3E Kunsth=F8gskolen i Oslo. Statens kunstakademi
=3E =3E (KHIO. The National Academy of Fine Art)
=3E =3E St. Olavsgate 32
=3E =3E 0166 Oslo (Norway)
=3E =3E Tel: 47-22995547
=3E =3E Fax: 47-22995533