----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Robert, Hello. I'm the new library director at Cornish College of the Arts as of this July. I was at Seattle University as their acquisitions librarian for the last four years. We'll be starting our accreditation process next year so I'm particularly interested in hearing what people will say about this. At SU I was the fine arts selector and we went through a department peer review and were starting on university accreditation before I left. The bibliography we used was Books for College Libraries : 3rd ed.; Chicago : American Library Association, 1988. We literally went through the whole section on art books and compared it to our holdings. In your case it sounds like you'd be searching your shelf list. The ALA list wasn't specific enough for the studio arts, but it was all we had. Plus, SU's visual and performing arts programs were somewhat diluted after they were folded together into a Fine Arts department. I checked, and ALA Editions also publishes Books for College Libraries - Humanities, but nothing for Fine Arts. My inclination is to not go to the faculty to define my core collection. It may be "core" to them, but it may not be recognized as fitting the "recommended core" for which the accreditors will be looking. So, I'm as interested as you are in finding current recommended bibliographies. If I run across anything not mentioned on the list I'll share it. I hope to visit your library sometime when I'm in Portland. -Hollis ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ms. Hollis Near Director, Library Services Cornish College of the Arts 710 East Roy Street Seattle, WA 98102 phone 206-726-5040 fax 206-726-5055 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >-----Original Message----- >From: ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY DISCUSSION LIST >[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Robert Craddick >Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 2:10 PM >To: [log in to unmask] >Subject: Future (Collection CORE) shock! > > >----------------------------Original >message---------------------------- >------------------ >Hello again, >Our College is undergoing an accreditation process, and one of >the main needs we >have is to identify our 'Core' library collection (in the next >couple of >months). Our college has formally separated from a local >museum and museum >library with some of our 4,500 bibliographic items (that we >own) still on the >museum's library shelves, and interspersed with their >collection. We will be >removing these books over the course of the year. The only >record I have of our >'owned' materials is a shelf list card collection. The >Problem: How does one go >about determining for true the valuable 'core' books used by >one's faculty body, >and separating these from the junk without any statistical >data? The Second >Problem: I have asked our busy faculty for bibliographies they >felt essential >for their students so that I could add these to our future >'core' stock, but >have received very few back. Does anyone have any suggestions >as to how faculty >could be encouraged to assist in identifying a 'core >collection? Does anyone >know of large lists of current bibliographies for >undergraduate studio art >disciplines that might have 500 listings by various art disciplines? >Sincerely, >Robert > >Robert Ray Craddick >Head Librarian >Pacific Northwest College of Art >1241 NW Johnson ST >Portland, OR 97209 >U.S.A. > >email: [log in to unmask] >phone: 503.821.8970 >fax: 503.226.3587 >