I must admit that I too was smitten with the old world charm of Ottawa.  When
attending a BI conference there several years ago, I was told that during the
winter months people ice skate to work via the scenic canal system that wends
its way through the city.  Moreover Canada's National Gallery of Art was a real
knock-out and overwhelming.  Having been in Pittsburgh(east), LA(west), and
then St. Louis(midwest), I cast my vote for Ottawa in 2003.

pbaxter wrote:

>      Okay, I'll jump in. I would like to whole-heartedly endorse Ottawa as
>      an upcoming conference site. I was there for research purposes last
>      year, and found the city to be a delightful hybrid of many charming
>      and comfortable factors. While Ottawa lacks the big-city raciness of
>      Toronto or Montreal that may set our ARLIS members hearts' apounding,
>      it does have: great museums, all quite walkable, good restaurants,
>      piquant pockets of old world charm, including some British-ness
>      (including fine bookstores with U.K. imprint books available months or
>      even a year before we get them in the States - all you mystery fans,
>      there), and some unexpectedly nice shopping!
>
>      What more could we want, along with that famous Canadian hospitality
>      we are always shown when we go north of the border? One last thing -
>      being somewhat an "old-timer" in terms of conference attendance, it is
>      nice to go someplace where one can balance the need to hang around and
>      be with colleagues and the seduction of the streets if we're in a
>      vibrant city. Go Ottawa!
>      Paula Baxter, New York Public Library,
>      Art & Architecture
>
>      P.S. All that has been said previously about NYC's unaffordability is
>      quite true, I fear. Costs are astounding, but the streets are swelled
>      anyway...

James Lane
Fine Arts Librarian
Sahara West Library