Have never been to an ARLIS/NA conference city I didn't love--and I've been
to all since 1977 except for Montreal.  ARLIS conference planners always
reflect their affection for and special insiders' knowledge of both the
renown and less known aspects of their cities.  It is this art insiders'
perspective that makes ARLIS conferences--no matter what the city--so unique
and memorable.  It is why tours planned--and guided by--local chapter members
and restaurant guides ditto are so crucial to the success and flavor of a
particular conference.

Having said that, all suggestions so far sound terrific, including Las Vegas.
 I went to a Western Museums Association meeting there a few years ago that
was really wonderful (really!).  There were about the same number of people
in attendance as at ARLIS meetings.  We had a neon tour with a local neon
collector, an architecture tour, and a tour of the fabulous children's
museum, and we met at a lovely conference center just outside of the city.
There is some interesting site-specific work out in the desert.  As Rosemary
Haddad says, the weather there in March is wonderful and the desert may even
be blooming.  And I'm not sure (for better and for worse) one can know
American contemporary art and architecture without reference to Las Vegas.

I would also vote for Minneapolis and Ottawa (though both would be very
cold), Atlanta, and Tucson.  Most important of all, however (for the reasons
cited above) is the necessity for a minimum critical mass of local members to
make it happen--even with the most miraculous management company.  As the
planners in Phoenix, Kansas City, Providence, and San Antonio showed, it can
be done.  But we are overdue to go back to Washington, DC as well.

Joan Benedetti