ARLIS colleagues,
I'm interested to know if other libraries and archives have a policy on
paying for the appraisal of incoming collections which are being donated.

The tax benefit accrues to the donor; some institutions will not pay for the
appraisal for that reason.  Other institutions may be governed by state
regulations and do not have the option of paying for the appraisal even if
they would like to.  For those institutions *not* limited by governmental
statute, I'd appreciate hearing if you have a policy.  Please reply to me
directly and I will summarize for the list.
Sheila Klos
Head Librarian
Dumbarton Oaks