From: b.j. irvine [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 1999 10:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Future conference site?

Okay, since Indy has now been brought up by several of you.  I would like
to be on record as saying that several years ago, I considered proposing
Indianapolis as an ARLIS/NA confence site but at that time the support
structure required for local hosting was rather problematic.
  Given current headquarters support for conferences, I do think this is a
real possibility now.
  I have contacted Ursula Kolmstetter, IMA Librarian, about Indy as a
future conference site option.
   BJ Irvine, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Ray Anne Lockard wrote:
> Good for you, Katherine, for putting Indianapolis on the list of
conference
> sites.  I was there for an ARLIS/NA Regional meeting about 10 years ago or
so
> and I was THRILLED with what I found there!  Columbus, Indiana is one of
the
> most remarkable places in the country and probably one of the country's
best
> kept secrets!  I had never heard of it prior to the regional meeting,
nearly
> did not go on the tour, and was ASTOUNDED by the architecture I
encountered
> there.  Let's add Indianapolis to the list!  Ray Anne Lockard
>
> PS -- I also like the idea of seeing/doing something different by having a
> conference in Las Vegas.  I would never go there otherwise and I am sure
there
> is plenty for us to learn in that location, expecially things that relate
> American pop and material culture.  RAL
>
> Katharine Martinez wrote:

ARLIS
> > to go to Indianapolis: the presence of BJ Irvine at IU, which for me,
makes
> > Bloomington the center of the ARLIS/VRA universe. (Can you tell I'm a
> > former student?) *And* in case you need another reason to want to go:
the
> > nearby town of Columbus, Indiana contains an extraordinary number of
> > buildings by important architects -- check out
> > http://www.cornishproductions.com/Place/Columbus/Columbus1.html.
> >
> > The local members may wish I'd kept my mouth shut. I do appreciate how
much
> > work it would mean for them to organize a conference in Indianapolis
with
> > trips to Bloomington and Columbus. And I do recognize that ARLIS is not
> > responsible for helping me find an excuse to (re)visit Indiana.
> >
> > Kathy Martinez
> > Katharine Martinez, Herman and Joan Suit Librarian
> > Fine Arts Library
> > Harvard University

B. J. Kish Irvine, Ph.D.
Fine Arts Librarian