     The Phillips Collection
     1600 21st Street NW (corner of 21st and Q)

When:
     Wednesday, November 17, 1999
     1:30pm to 3:30pm+

We will gather in the Library for light refreshments and networking,
followed by a brief business meeting. We will then be provided
with a detailed tour of the current exhibit "Renoir to Rothko: the Eye of
Duncan Phillips" by Karen Schneider, Librarian at The Phillips
Collection and ARLIS/DC-MD-VA Chapter member. Karen will give an overview of
the exhibit, which incorporates numerous cases of
archival materials as well as over 350 works of art including paintings,
drawings, and sculptures. She will also give us to the collection
she gained while providing bibliography research assistance with the
scholarly catalog of The Phillips Collection, entitled The Eye of
Duncan Phillips: a collection in the making. Free time will follow the tour
for those who wish to visit the Collection's Museum Shop
and other areas.

Directions:
The Phillips Collection is located in the Northwest section of Washington,
DC, not far from Dupont Circle. Parking in the area is
limited, so it is recommended that you take the Metro's Red Line to the
Dupont Circle station, take the Q Street exit, and walk one
block west to 21st and Q. If you choose to drive, metered parking is
available on the streets around The Phillips.

Directions for driving are as follows:

     From Richmond and points South on I95/I395:
     Take 95 North to 395
     Take 395 straight across 14th Street Bridge onto 14th Street
     From 14th Street, Turn Left onto "I" Street
     Turn Right onto 20th Street
     Turn Left onto Massachusetts Avenue
     Turn Right onto Florida Avenue
     At Second Light--Sharp Right onto 21st Street
     The Phillips Collection is on the Right at 21st & Q Streets

     From Baltimore and points North on I95:
     Take 95 South to 495 West
     From 495--Take Chevy Chase/Kensington Exit to Connecticut Avenue South
     Stay on Connecticut Avenue approximately 9 miles
     Turn Right onto "R" Street
     Turn Left at next corner onto 21st Street
     The Phillips Collection is on the Right at 21st and Q Streets

Enter at Office Visitors Entrance, ground floor of house building (down
handicapped ramp into basement of original house) Tell the
receptionist you are here for ARLIS meeting.

RSVP:
Please let Karen know that you will be attending by calling 202-387-2151,
extension 212 or sending email to
[log in to unmask] before 5:00pm, Monday, November 15, 1999.

We are looking forward to seeing you there!

Deborah Barlow, 1999 Chair

Julia Wisniewski catalogs art books at:

  University of Maryland Libraries         Of making many books
  College Park MD  20742-7011                there is no end,
  [log in to unmask]                        and much study
  http://www.wam.umd.edu/                    is a weariness of the flesh.
           ~jwisniew/homepage.html                  -- Eccl. 12:12