\

Kjersti,

Your exchange student may want to evaluate Metacreation's 'Canoma' software,
which allows the creation of 3 dimensional models from 2 dimensional images --
the following text is from the website at
http://www.metacreations.com/products/canoma/ :

    "With Canoma you can create photorealistic 3D
    models from scanned or digital photographs
    quickly and without extensive 3D skills. Using
    a push-pin metaphor, Canoma lets you attach 3D,
    wireframe primitives on top of objects in a
    two-dimensional image (such as a scanned
    photograph, piece of stock photography, or even
    a digital drawing or painting)."

I have not used the software myself, so I don't know how good the results are.

Cheers,

T.
Tony Gill, Program Officer, Member Initiatives
Telephone: +1 (650) 691-2304, E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Research Libraries Group, 1200 Villa Street, Mountain View,
California 94041-1100, USA. http://www.rlg.org/