Our University Library and another university library in our province several
years ago now applied for and received funding to jointly develop collections
in environmental design.  I had a fairly large amount of money to spend over
about 5 years on monographs that were to complement not duplicate the other
library's collection.  I too saw the need to have some titles in our collection
which duplicated the other library's collection.  I did buy the titles that
were in the "must have" category.  My rationale was that  a library (especially
the size of our two institutions together) would normally carry more than one
copy of these core titles and it only made sense that in a distributed
situation that copies would be housed at each location.  Hope this helps your
case.  Marilyn
--
Marilyn Nasserden
Fine Arts, Music, and Environmental Design Librarian