----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Peter, I was in charge of acquisitions and web resources at Seattle University for the last four years. Here are some opinions I formed based on my experience. >1) Do you subscribe to your periodical indexes on Internet through a) >your vendor or b)directly from the publisher? Could you give a reason >for your choice? I preferred to subscribe to online indexes directly with the publisher. I found that, for online services, dealing with a serials vendor added too many layers of contacts when there was a problem to resolve. Also, I rely most heavily on my serials vendors for billing and claiming and that was never a problem for me with online services (just lucky I guess). For some electronic journals, I was required to go through a vendor. In such cases I just did what I had to do. > >2) Do you establish IP authentication directly with a) your >vendor or b) >your publisher? I have done it both ways. Whether you subscribe to, or license, the service through a vendor or publisher, the IP address authentication ultimately has to reach the *technical support staff* for the service. I preferred to submit this information directly to the publisher rather than rely on the serials vendor to forward my information. Even if I did submit the IP addresses to the vendor, I always followed up by submitting them to the publisher's tech support dept. Someone, from either library or ITS staff, will need to serve as a contact to the tech support dept. for each online service. The tech support dept. will need to be contacted whenever there is a change in your local IP address or when there is a problem with your connection. I think it helps to have someone from the library doing this but it can work for ITS to handle it if the two depts. keep close communication. > >3) Is the filtering or scripting access by IP address done by a) your >vendor or b)the publisher's technical support team or c) your >local ITS >Dept.? This will vary from product to product and from publisher to publisher. For most products, to set up IP authentication, you just send your IP address, or range of IP addresses, to the publisher or vendor and that's all it takes. However, you will have to get the IP addresses from your ITS dept. At that point ITS can determine the correct IP addresses to use based on your local configuration -- whether you're behind a firewall, or whatever. I must specify that simple IP address authentication will provide you with access for computers *on your museum network only*. In other words, this set-up does not allow off-site access to the service. Providing access to remote users gets into other methods of authentication such as passwords and the use of proxy servers. It sounds like this will be ok for you since you want to provide on-site access. From my experience, there is little chance of standardizing your set-up process for all online services. Whether you contract through a vendor or the publisher, the publisher is the one who provides the connection and so determines which forms of user authentication they will provide and *how* they will provide it. To deal with this, I keep complete records on each service provider as to what methods of authentication they provide, which method we use, how we connect to them (web, telnet, etc.) how to contact their technical support staff, our account number(s), and anything else necessary to capture the details of connecting to that service. I agree with you. The process is not as simple as it seems! I hope this helps. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hollis Near Director, Library Services Cornish College of the Arts 710 East Roy Street Seattle, WA 98102 phone 206-726-5040 fax 206-726-5055 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~