A colleage of mine at Maryland, Jean McEvoy, tipped me to Google.  I just found
the image in the National Portrait Gallery
(http://portraits.npg.si.edu/img1/img1a/6600066A.jpg) after entering "grant
and his generals", quotes and all, into the Google search box.

The last hit on the screen led to the Smithsonian, whence I eventually found
the National Portrait Gallery's search page.  Fairly quick!

Julia

>Colleagues,
>
>I would like to know which search engine(s) you routinely use to find an
>image of a specific painting, sculpture, etc.  For example, after
>exhausting my print resources trying to locate Balling's painting "Grant
>and his Generals" (1865), I tried phrase searching in various search
>engines with mixed results.
>
>Consequently, I am interested  in knowing your search engine preferences
>when the title of the work is at hand and you don't have the time to
>schlepp through classified  web directories to find a site that deals
>with the topic, or a museum site that potentially owns the work.  In
>other words, what do you use for the fabled  "quick and dirty" search?
>
>I am sure other ARLIS listservees would be eager to read the responses,
>so unless you are excessively shy, please respond to the group.
>(Truthfully I am too lazy to summarize and organize all the responses.)
>

>Jim Lane
>Fine Arts Librarian
>Sahara West Library
>9600 West Sahara Avenue
>Las Vegas, Nevada 89117

Julia Wisniewski catalogs art books at:

  University of Maryland Libraries         Of making many books
  College Park MD  20742-7011                there is no end,
  [log in to unmask]                        and much study
  http://www.wam.umd.edu/                    is a weariness of the flesh.
           ~jwisniew/homepage.html                  -- Eccl. 12:12