----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hello, I'm a professor of American history, and I thought someone on the list = might be able to help me locate a set of four paintings which depict the classical republican stages of history - that is the rise and fall from agrarian simplicity to civic virtue to imperial corruption to social disintegration. = I believe this artist was an American, but he may have been a European = patronized by Americans in the early nineteenth century. Trouble for me is that I can = not seem to recall where I saw this set, or any details relating to their production. I associated them immediately with the ideology of the American revolution, because I'm an American historian, but it's possible that they = were produced during the Italian Renaissance. If I could have clues as to the artists name, or of course the names of the paintings... I'd be grateful. Patrick Ryan University of Texas at Dallas