Carol,

In my experience, the library collections are part of the general policy
covering personal property.  However, often parts of the collection such as
archives or rare books are covered generally or are specifically listed (ie, by
titel) on a valuable papers policy.  In any event, you should make sure that the
library materials are insured for replacement value and that the policy is "all
risk", which means it includes everything possible.  If you don't want to insure
every book for replacement, you could perhaps agree on an established blanket
value for the normal books.  Perhaps you would decide that in the event of a
major catastrophe, every third book could be found and replaced.  Make sure the
policy also covers the staff time and expense of acquiring and cataloging the
new material also will pay for restoration if that is your possible and
preferred option.  By the way, some events not always included are flood,
earthquake (yes, New York sits on a fault line), sewer backup, etc.  and you
should make sure they are covered if appropriate in your situation.  Also make
sure your insurance is placed with a large, reputable insuror used to working
with libraries and non-profits.  The Chubb is one company everyone always
mentions but there are others, too.  Ask what other major libraries, especially
ones with rare books/archives, they insure.

I have answered this at the request of our librarian.

Michael McKay
Director of Finance and Administration  (and MLS holder)
American Craft Council

Carol Rusk wrote:

> The Registrar's office at WMAA, involved in planning for expansion of an
> offsite storage facility, is interested in how most library and archival
> collections of books, papers, photographs, etc., are covered.  Is it through
> a special library policy, a general liability policy, the museum's fine arts
> policy,  or something else?

Trisha Lucy
Library Director
American Craft Council