----------------------------Original message---------------------------- I wonder if all of you have seen the AAMD statement. Here is my favorite part: "There is no question that some of the works of art in this exhibition are challenging and may even be offensive to some people. Contemporary art necessarily deals with the tough and provocative issues of our day, and many of the artists represented in Sensation are grappling with the same imagery and subject matter that confront all of us in our daily lives. The Brooklyn Museum of Art has been conscientious in informing and advising prospective visitors about the nature of this work. Every art museum in this country is a center for the free exchange of ideas, opinions and perspectives that reflect the diversity of our global culture. Discouraging this exchange undermines the principles of freedom of expression, plurality and tolerance on which our nation was founded." [If you would like a hard copy of this release on official letterhead sent or faxed to you, please contact the AAMD office at (212) 249-4423] > -----Original Message----- > From: WILLIAM KEAVENEY > Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 3:03 PM > To: [log in to unmask] > Subject: Re: Brooklyn Museum and Mayor Guiliani (fwd) > > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > > Art should enrich the intellectual and aesthetic lives of people > not serve the psychoanalytic needs of the "artist." "Artists" who > are in need of psychotherapy should visit a shrink, not pollute the > walls and floors of cultural institutions with their deification (or > the excrement of any animal for that matter). Their health > insurance, not public arts funding should finance their "work." If > this exhibition in any way reflects the state of cultural > affairs in the United States then I am ashamed the be an American.