I recently formed a new ARLIS/NA Task Force that will work with the
National Architectural Accrediting Board to suggest a new "standard" for
their current guideline which defines "collections".  Janine Henri is
co-chairing this with Kathy Brackney, from the Association of Architecture
School Librarians.

Lee's question goes further, and I think, as professional librarians, many
of us create basic guides for our students, to ensure that they know the
core resources in art or architecture.  I believe these bibliographies are
still available through LOEX.  Beyond the guides that we create ourselves,
we have published "guides to the literature" (e.g. Arntzen Rainwater)
which provide a checklist of the most important resources in a specific
discipline.  Our disciplines are broad and interdisciplinary and somewhat
different than the sciences, so creating "one" guide might be difficult!

Kathryn Wayne
University of California Berkeley