We used smart bar-codes as a one-off exercise when we converted from a
manual to an automated circulation system.

The bar-codes contained:

Call. no.  [LC]
Accession no.
Bar-code and item number.

The labels were produced automatically by our computer bureau and printed on
sheets in LC order [i.e. shelf order].   This meant that, while tedious, the
insertion of bar-codes was relatively easy and efficient.   All we had to do
was go along the shelves sticking them in.

For this particular purpose, and because they were generated automatically,
the smart bar-codes saved a great deal of time and effort and also served as
a stock check of catalogued items.

THere were a few problems with the order in which they were printed,
particularly where we had pre-fixes e.g. R for Reference, but generally the
operation was a smooth one.

As a regular part of the processing of a book I do not think they would be
cost-effective.

All subsequent bar-codes contain only the bar-code item number and are
allocated and wanded into the record as part of the technical services
process.

J. Margaret Shaw
Chief Librarian
National Gallery of Australia
Research Library
GPO Box 1150
Canberra  ACT  2601

Telephone: 61-(0)2 6240 6532
Facsimile:  61-(0)2 6273 2155
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
url:  www.nga.gov.au   [under Research]

The views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not
necessarily reflect those of the National Gallery of Australia