Searching the LC catalogs using their new LC Z39.50 gateway, "Voyager", I
noticed two disappointing features, and I'll quote from LC's "limitations"
statement:

1) "Diacritics and many special characters are not encoded correctly".

2) "It is not possible to search the LC authority files".

Am I missing something here, or have they taken two giant steps backward
for mankind (taking our tax money with them) -- the gateway previously
supported (MUMS, which apparently will disappear in December), supported
both these features.

If I haven't somehow missed discussion on this previously, is this
something the Cataloging Advisory Committee of ARLIS would be interested in
pursuing?

Phil Heagy
Menil Collection Library
1511 Branard St. Houston, TX 77006