Hello again,

This seems to be my week for posting questions to the list...

I was wondering about some of the acquisitions policies of those of you
who are involved in consortiums. We have always observed loan policies
for the other institutions in our consortium, but now we are being asked
not to duplicate, or at least consider that, titles that the other colleges
already own. Of course, I can see some advantage to this, but also see some
more problematic issues emerging, such as the strength of our individual
collection, the ability to use materials for reserve or long term research
loans, and the serious loss of that serendipitous element of research that
is so related to picking something off the shelf that just happens to be
next to the item you found in the catalog.

So, what do you think? Perhaps this subject is broad enough in appeal that
you might just reply to the list.

Thanks,

Anne