Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear Kathryn, On behalf of the members of the Museum Library Division of ARLIS, we would like to thank you, the Board and Deborah for the letter that you sent to Christie's. We appreciate the support that you have shown to the membership. Best wishes, Nancy Simon and Meg Klinkow Co-moderators, Museum Library Division Kathryn Wayne wrote: > > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > Dear ARLIS/NA Members, > > I want to thank everyone who participated in the recent discussion on > ARLIS-L concerning Christie's current method of providing auction sales > results. Your interest and concern prompted the ARLIS/NA Executive Board > to write to Christie's about possible enhancements to their current web > service. A copy of this letter follows. > > Thanks also to Deborah Kempe, Northeast Regional Representative, for her > help in compiling the letter. > > Kathryn Wayne > ARLIS/NA President > > August 16, 1999 > > Mr. Ed Dolman, Managing Director > Christie's, Inc. > 20 Rockefeller Plaza > New York, NY 10020 > > Dear Mr. Dolman: > > On behalf of The Art Libraries Society of North America, an organization > representing nearly 1,500 art information professionals, I am sending this > letter to inform you of problems that many of our members are encountering > while trying to access sales results for Christie's auctions. > > When Christie's ended the long-standing service of mailing auction results > to its subscribers late last year, librarians immediately began voicing > their frustrations, at professional meetings and on the ARLIS-L listserv, > with the new web-based service. Libraries and research centers are now > forced to make cumbersome adjustments to deal with a much more time- and > paper-consuming procedure. Based on suggestions posted to the listserv, as > well as conversations with our members who subscribe to the auction > catalogs of Christie's and other houses, we feel that the web-produced > lists would be improved with a few format changes. > > Because most libraries have a procedure in place to tip sales results into > their corresponding catalogs, they would prefer to see a more compact, > multi-column format resembling the mailed lists. Currently, much staff > time is spent essentially trying to recreate that original format, i.e., > reformatting and printing the document, copying it onto acid-free paper, > and often copying it again to create two-sided pages. Our members also > would welcome an option to call up several sale dates at a time and print > multiple results at one session. They also would like to see the addenda, > which may have important additional information and corrections to the > catalogue entries, included with the price lists on the web. Finally, I > must add that many subscribers would welcome the option to receive mailed > results, either by postal service or via e-mail. Regardless of whether this > option is reintroduced, we recommend that sales results be archived on your > website. If access to past sales results via the web were guaranteed, > libraries might end the practice of tipping in printed lists. > > It is the hope of the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA that these suggestions > will be helpful to you and your staff as you consider enhancements to the > web service. Because Christie's and ARLIS/NA share the goal of ensuring > access to sales results, we encourage you to pursue improvements so that > libraries can continue to make available this essential information for art > research and documentation. Our colleague Shira Nichaman, Director of > Christie's Library and Research Center and an ARLIS/NA member, can no doubt > serve as an excellent soundboard and conduit for our membership's concerns > and needs, and we encourage you to engage her perspective with regard to > decisions that affect libraries around the world. Thank you very much for > your consideration of our concerns. > > Yours sincerely, > > Kathryn Wayne > ARLIS/NA President > On behalf of the Executive Board