Forwarded from the NINCH list.

Judy

From:   NINCH-ANNOUNCE, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
To:     Multiple recipients of list, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

Date:   8/23/99  3:08 PM

RE:     Issues Around Embedding Multimedia in Electronic Journals; Resource Guide to

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
from across the Community
August 23, 1999

        ON ISSUES AROUND EMBEDDING MULTIMEDIA IN ELECTRONIC JOURNALS
            http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm

        ELECTRONIC JOURNALS: A SELECTED RESOURCE GUIDE  - now updated
               http://www.harrassowitz.de/ms/ejresguide.html

I am forwarding the call for ideas and experiences in embedding multimedia
in electronic jounrals from Gerry Mckiernan, as it appeared in the
e-journal list of the Association of Research Libraries August 7 as I
believed members of this wider community might be interested and able to
assist Mr. McKiernan.

This is followed by another announcement on this list about an updated
version of a resource guide, "an overview and summary of issues relating to
electronic journals."

David Green
===========

        ON ISSUES AROUND EMBEDDING MULTIMEDIA IN ELECTRONIC JOURNALS
            http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm

>Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 15:07:41 -0500
>From: "Gerry Mckiernan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ramification Issues of Embedded Multimedia E-Journals
>
>           _Ramification Issues of Embedded Multimedia E-Journals_
>
>   Over the next several weeks I will be considering and researching
>the issues relating to the ramifications / consequences / requirements
>of embedded multimedia in electronic journals for libraries and
>institutions.  I have sketched the following outline of these issues
>and would very much appreciate my colleague's review of these as well
>as suggestions for other issues not included.
>
>I. TECHNICAL
>
>   Installation of Plug-Ins
>   Maintenance
>   Retrieval  / Access
>   Downloading
>
>II. FINANCIAL
>
>   Equipment (e.g. multimedia workstations)
>   Cost
>   Labor
>   Time
>
>III. PROFESSIONAL
>
>   Cataloging (e.g. cataloging of multimedia edition
>   vs. non-multimedia edition of journal)
>
>   Reference (e.g., user-assistance /interpretation)
>
>IV. COOPERATIVE
>
>   Interlibrary Loan (e.g. 'document' delivery of
>     multimedia e-article)
>
>V. PREPARATION / PRODUCTION
>
>   Author training and skills
>   Institutional infra-structure
>   Publisher capability
>
>VI. ARCHIVAL
>
>   Technical
>   Financial
>   Management
>
>     I would also appreciate citations to *any* and *all* literature
>that address these issues in a general sense, i.e. the management,
>etc. of conventional multimedia applications in libraries.
>
>     This outline as well as relevant literature will be used to prepare
>two articles for submission this Fall, and will complement M-Bed(sm) my
>recently-established registry of embedded multimedia e-journals
>available at:
>
>     http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm
>

>     As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, queries, critiques,
>are Most Welcome.
>

>     Regards,
>
>Gerry McKiernan
>Theoretical Librarian
>Iowa State University
>Ames IA 50011

"Words still have ... primacy, but they can be illuminated by images and
moving pictures and by numbers and by sounds."

Subject: ELECTRONIC JOURNALS: A SELECTED RESOURCE GUIDE  - now updated
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:41:45 EDT

ELECTRONIC JOURNALS: A SELECTED RESOURCE GUIDE  - now updated

"Electronic Journals; A Selected Resource Guide" has just been revised and
updated on the HARRASSOWITZ website.  This guide is an overview and
summary of issues relating to electronic journals, covering such topics as
the history of e-journals, technical standards, legal and business issues,
scholarly publishing issues, preservation, and archiving.  Each section of
the Guide consists of an introductory discussion and a selected, annotated
bibliography of resources, most of which are available on the WWW.  In
addition, there are pointers for maintaining current awareness in this
area.

The revised version includes 28 new sites and articles, and a new section
called "The Cutting Edge."

HARRASSOWITZ is committed to maintaining this resource guide, and relevant
new resources and discussion topics will be added regularly.

The resource guide can be viewed at

                http://www.harrassowitz.de/ms/ejresguide.html

--
Katharina Klemperer
Library and Information Systems Consulting

The subjects of these announcements are not, unless otherwise noted, the
projects of NINCH; neeither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of
announcements.

We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and
appreciate reciprocal credit.

For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor:

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
<http://www.ninch.org>
202/296-5346                                  202/872-0886 fax