----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hi! Just a suggestion, especially if you want a MARC format: there is a small, not terribly sophisticated library software system that we were able to purchase four years ago for around $2000 (no doubt more costly today). It allows searching by author, title, subject, and even key word. One could also circulate if one wanted to. I have been pleased with what it can do for a slide collection that does not need a lot of elaborate electronic tricks. You can get information from CASPR at this number: 1-800-852-2777 Good luck! Ty Castellarin, Slide Librarian Columbus College of Art & Design Julia Cubit wrote: > ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- > > I am interested in getting information on software to be used for a small > art library. > > I am presently enrolled in a MLS program at U of Md., and am preparing for > a field study project at a small art gallery. The gallery recently built > an addition that included a room (c. 20' x 20') for a library. > > Volunteers are presently organizing and cataloging the library on cards. > The librarian in charge of this library is interested in finding what is > available in VERY EASY to use cataloging software. Once I am finished > with the project, other volunteers (most of whom are retired and not > computer literate) will be cataloguing acquisitions. > > We would like to index periodicals and slides along with the books, all of > which have been donated. The system would be used primarily for searching; > there are no plans for the collection to circulate. And we assume that > this will probably be all on just one computer, probably a Mac. Also, cost > is a factor - I don't believe the gallery has the funds for an expensive > system. > > I would appreciate any input or suggestions or sharing of experiences.