Margaret,

If you can track down the following book

   TITLE :The perception of visual information / William R. Hendee,
             Peter N.T. Wells, editors
   EDITION :2nd ed.
   PUBLISHER :New York : Springer, c1997.
   DESCRIPTION :xviii, 409 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.

you may get some ideas.  There is talk in it about visual field
scanning and information processing.  Though personally, I think any
study that attempts to answer this question is doomed to fail.  It
would just be too difficult to operationalize all the constructs,
many of which depend on individualistic factors.

There's my 2 cents.

Cheers,
William