----------------------------Original message---------------------------- We know all of our ARLIS/NA colleagues will want to join us in congratulating Milan Hughston on his appointment as the new Chief of Library and Museum Archives at The Museum of Modern Art, New York. The full text of the press release that will shortly be available on MoMA's Web site follows. Daniel Starr Janis Ekdahl For Immediate Release June 1999 THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART APPOINTS A CHIEF OF LIBRARY AND MUSEUM ARCHIVES Glenn D. Lowry, Director of The Museum of Modern Art, announced the appointment of Milan R. Hughston to the newly created position of Chief of Library and Museum Archives effective September 7. Mr. Hughston, who comes to MoMA after twenty years at the Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth, Texas, will lead the centralization of the Museum's research resources, consisting of the Library and Museum Archives. He will report to Patterson Sims, Deputy Director for Education and Research Resources. Mr. Lowry said: "The Museum has searched widely for an individual to oversee, consolidate, and re-envision its extraordinary research resources. In Milan Hughston, we have found a gifted leader and articulate spokesperson for the Museum's expanding role as the preeminent research facility for modern art in the world." Mr. Hughston began his career at the Amon Carter Museum as Assistant Librarian in 1979, following a period of postgraduate work in Art Gallery and Museum Studies at the University of Manchester, England. In 1983, he was promoted to Associate Librarian, a post he held until 1989, when he was named Librarian. Rick Stewart, Director of the Amon Carter Museum, commented: "Milan Hughston is a consummate art librarian, one of the finest I have ever known. Over the past twenty years he has developed the Amon Carter Museum's research library into one of the finest and most comprehensive American art resource centers to be found anywhere. His effective leadership, most recently demonstrated with the establishment of the Cultural District Library Consortium, has greatly benefited us all. Milan is very well-known and admired in the professional research library community, and our loss will assuredly be MoMA's gain." Mr. Hughston organized several exhibitions at the Carter Museum, including "Stage Folk": Caricatures of the New York Stage by Al Frueh (1997). He is the author of numerous articles on art history and museum library science, topics on which he has also spoken at various professional gatherings. Mr. Hughston holds a bachelor's degree in journalism (with honors) and a Master of Library Science degree, from The University of Texas at Austin. Mr. Sims said: "The selection of Milan Hughston gives the Museum a seasoned librarian with a strong commitment to and knowledge of the benefits and importance of art museum archives. While long based in Fort Worth, Hughston is nationally well respected and has many connections to New York City. Given the unusually gifted staff already in place, Milan's responsibilities will focus on the Museum's new scholarly opportunities, the upcoming major building program, and attracting the additional funding needed for research support." Since it was chartered as an educational institution in 1929, The Museum of Modern Art has been dedicated to helping people understand and enjoy the visual arts of our time. Over 1.8 million people visited the Museum last year to see its permanent collection as well as to attend temporary exhibitions, film programs, and special events. Many more are served by the Museum's traveling exhibitions, its active publishing program, its Library and Museum Archives, and its educational activities, including the Museum's award-winning Web site. The Museum's Library contains approximately 160,000 books and periodicals, as well as special collections of rare and unique materials, devoted to the study of modern art. The Museum Archives holds extensive historical documentation related to the history of the Museum, as well as primary source material that complements the mission and interests of the institution. In addition, each curatorial department is equipped with a study center that holds extensive materials on specific mediums. All these resources are open to students and scholars by appointment and information about them is accessible through the Museum's Web site, at www.moma.org, and on DADABASE, the on-line catalogue of MoMA's research resources. Mr. Hughston stated: "The story of modern art is reflected in the remarkable library and Museum Archives collections of MoMA. It is a great honor and challenge to be asked to coordinate efforts in creating an ideal paradigm for the study of modern and contemporary art as the Museum expands. MoMA's commitment to the library and the history embodied in its archives has been evident since the Museum's founding, and I look forward to continuing that tradition of enhancing access to a collection of such renown." * * * No. 59 For further information, contact Mary Lou Strahlendorff (212/708-9755; [log in to unmask]) or Graham Leggat (212/708-9752; [log in to unmask]). Visit our Web site at www.moma.org.