Dear Ursula - I too read the article in Art and Auction and have used
Artfact extensively since I am compiling an auction lot database
relating to Peter Carl Faberge', the Russian court jeweler.

As I understand it from Artfact, they have had difficulty getting
permission to mount the Christie's data, and in many cases the
descriptions Artfact has do not match the text in the actual hard copy
auction catalog. Copyright concerns?

icollector is British and mounts non-mainstream auction houses (somewhat
limited), that is, Sotheby's, Christie's and other major auction houses
are not included. The database is a mixture of genuine Faberge'
objects, books and many imitations.

Sotheby's has their own on-line database with archival catalogs and
prices realized beginning in April 1998. Sotheby's has signed up 2,700
auction houses and galleries to begin in the fall a joint
auction-on-line project. Who will authenticate the pieces?

Christie's now has the price lists on the net. They hope in the fall of
1999 to have the text from the catalogs to go with the prices.

Many of the on-line databases do not include the decorative arts.

Of course, there was an earlier discussion on this listserv about the
fact that price lists are not being mailed by the auction houses anymore
unless you returned the magic postcard.

For me as a researcher, it is getting more and more difficult to find
the bits and pieces needed to complete an auction lot entry with prices
realized.  It is certainly not one-stop shopping. I would like to hear
from others off list about this problem.

Christel L. McCanless
Librarian/Independent Researcher
Phone/fax 256-536-3458