Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Forwarded from the Digital Future Coalition listserv. Roger Lawson Chair ARLIS/NA Public Policy Committee >>> Skip Lockwood <[log in to unmask]> 06/23/99 03:45pm >>> Skip Lockwood wrote: > > Here are excerpts of Sen. Leahy's remarks from yesterday's Congressional Record. If you would like to see the entire remarks, you'll need to go to Thomas and search for S7455 or click on the following link http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?r106:1:./temp/~r1069F5dam:e20177: > to see the beginning of the remarks. > > Among the other important intellectual property matters for us to > consider are the following: > > Distance Education. The Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing last > month on the Copyright Office's thorough and balanced report on copyright and digital distance education. We need to address > the legislative recommendations outlined in that report to ensure that our laws permit the appropriate use of copyrighted works in valid distance learning activities. > > Database Protection. > > I noted upon passage of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act last year > that there was not enough time before the end of that Congress to give due consideration to the issue of database protection, and that I hoped the Senate Judiciary Committee would hold hearings and consider database protection legislation in this Congress, with a commitment to make more progress. I support legal protection against commercial misappropriation of collections of information, but am sensitive to the concerns raised by the Administration, the libraries, certain educational institutions, and the scientific community. This is a > complex and important matter that I look forward to considering in this > Congress. > -- > Skip Lockwood > Coordinator > Digital Future Coalition > P.O. Box 7679 > Washington, DC 20004-7679 > 202-628-6048 (phone) > 202-628-9227 (fax) > [log in to unmask] > www.dfc.org --