Dear ARLIS members,

We at Grove are reviewing our pricing policy for The Grove Dictionary of
Art Online, and   planning our pricing model for next year's launch of The
New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians Online.

Since the pricing models established by online journal vendors do not work
for "content" databases like ours, I'd like to enlist your help in
evaluating the pricing model we are using for The Dictionary of Art Online,
and  to get your views on alternatives .

For those of you who may not be familiar with the pricing model we are
currently using for The Dictionary of Art Online, we offer a site licence
with a base of 1-5 concurrent users.  Subscribers can choose higher usage
levels in increments of 6-10, 11-20, 21-30, or 31+.  We require academic
institutions with 5 or more libraries to select 6-10 as their basic usage
level.
We use Carnegie Classification as a guide to define an academic institution
as a site.

We offer single user/single workstation access only to high schools and to
individual subscribers.

For public libraries with networked branches, the main library subscribes,
choosing a usage level appropriate for the main plus branches served, and
there is an additional per-branch access charge.  For 5 or more branches,
we require a minimum of 6-10 usage level.

I'd be very grateful if you could share your views on this model, and your
opinions of the models below, or others you are aware of:

FTE
Weighted FTE
Site License with concurrent users
Single user/single workstation

Renewal pricing--are you in favor of either:
A relatively constant annual access fee
A larger upfront payment, with lower annual access/maintenance fee?

Also, are those of you in academic institutions aware of the Carnegie
Classification? If so, do you think it is an appropriate method for
identifying your institution?   For those of you who may not be familiar
with Carnegie Classification, here is the URL
http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/cihe/

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please reply on or off-list to:

Eileen Sutter