Forwarded from the NINCH list.

Judy

From:   NINCH-ANNOUNCE, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
To:     Multiple recipients of list, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]

Date:   5/27/99 12:21 PM

RE:     REPORT ON COPYRIGHT & DISTANCE EDUCATION AVAILABLE

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
May 27, 1999

     COPYRIGHT OFFICE REPORT ON COPYRIGHT & DISTANCE EDUCATION AVAILABLE
                    <http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/>
            http://www.loc.gov/copyright/cpypub/de_rprt.pdf

The much anticipated report from the Copyright Office on Distance
Education, as mandated by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, has now
been released. The Copyright Office was charged to make recommendations,
"on how to promote distance education through digital terchnologies,
including interactive digital networks, while maintaining an appropriate
balance between the rights of copyright owners and the needs of users of
copyrighted works."

The note below from Kenneth Crews, Associate Dean of the Faculties for
Copyright Management at Indiana University/Purdue University, Indianapolis
(IUPUI) indicates an upcoming analysis of the report on the website of
IUPUI's Copyright Management Center <http://www.iupui.edu/~copyinfo/>,
which I would encourage you to visit.

David Green
===========

>Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 08:34:47 -0700
>From: "Christine L. Sundt" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fw: Distance Education/Copyright Office Report

>>From: Crews, Kenneth D. <[log in to unmask]>
>>Date: Thursday, May 27, 1999 4:18 AM
>>Subject: Distance Education/Copyright Office Report

>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
>From: Copyright Management Center, IUPUI
>
>The long-awaited report from the U.S. Copyright Office on distance
>education is now available on the U.S. Copyright Office site at
><http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/>.  Look under "What's New" on
>the left side of the page.  The report runs 348 pages with the
>various attachments, and it is a PDF file.  You will need an
>Adobe Acrobat reader to open it.  If you do not already have
>Acrobat Reader, the free program may be downloaded at
>
>   <http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/readstep.html>.
>
>The Copyright Management Center will soon prepare a summary and
>analysis of the Copyright Office report.  We expect to post the
>summary to our website at <http://www.iupui.edu/~copyinfo/>.  A
>preliminary reading of the Copyright Office report shows that the
>Copyright Office has made tremendous efforts to articulate a more
>balanced approach to the use of copyrighted works in distance
>education than current law provides.  The report includes
>recommendations to Congress that could offer new opportunities,
>and concurrent responsibilities, for higher education -- if
>Congress should enact the changes.  Please watch the Copyright
>Management Center website for our summary and analysis and other
>developments.
>
>****************
>Kenneth D. Crews, J.D., Ph.D.
>Associate Professor
>  Indiana Univ. School of Law-Indianapolis
>  IU School of Library & Information Science
>Associate Dean of the Faculties
>  for Copyright Management
>Indiana Univ. Purdue Univ. Indianapolis
>755 West Michigan Street
>Indianapolis, IN  46202-5195
>TEL: (317) 274-4400
>FAX: (317) 278-3301
>E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
>Visit our new website!

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
http://www.ninch.org
202/296-5346                                  202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.