Hi Edith,
    I have had experience with Filemaker Pro.  When I worked at the library
of the Bostonian Society we were creating a database of the society's
collection of photographs.  You could create different fields according to
your needs which was very flexible, and it was fairly straightforward to
figure-out. The indexing of subject headings also worked fairly well.  As I
was leaving, we were just figuring out how to scan images in properly which
was a bit trickier.  So, I would say for a non image database, it worked
well.  Hope this helps.
Best Wishes,
Sandra Rothenberg
Reference Librarian in ARLIS/NE