Phil,

Try searching the Material Safety Data Sheets available at:
http://msds.lib.utexas.edu/
You can do keyword searches under the "Chemical Name" field.  I ended up
with 100 hits under "wood" and 100 hits under "enamel" (zero for "baked
enamel" but "baking enamel" turned up under "enamel").  Maybe it stops
searching after 100 retrievals?  You'll be alot more successful if you have
specific product names, paint names, etc.  It won't give you a nice succint
comparison of bookshelf materials but it will provide lot's of details
about hazards, toxicology, etc. for individual products and compounds.

Have fun!

Best,

Janine Henri
>Can anyone recommend a source which describes/compares the relative levels
>and types of offgassing, and other harmful qualities of various bookshelf
>construction materials :  painted / unpainted wood; baked enamel on metal;
>glass; etc.
>
>Please reply directly to me at the address below; thanks for your help.
>
>Phil Heagy
>Menil Collection Library
>1511 Branard St. Houston, TX 77006
>PH: (713) 525-9426