Edith,
        FileMakerPro is nice, but it depends on how much you're indexing.
It may not be robust enough to be efficient on a web site, especially if
you're opening your index up to people at a great distance.  It may just be
too slow.  You might want to try MS Access for a larger file or group of
files.  If you feel up to the challenges you might also want to consider the
database manager du jour, Oracle.
        After crunching an index of more than 25 Mb of data my best advice
to you is plan, plan, plan.  Also try to make it easier on yourself and
consider the posibility of linking flat files to make them work like a
relational database.

At 06:22 PM 5/20/99 EDT, you wrote:
>I have a sabbatical in the Fall and will be indexing some journals as my
>project (for a literary organization). The index will be posted to a web
>site eventually. Now, I haven't done any indexing since library school,
>while dinosaurs ruled the earth. Any recommendations for a good brush-up
>book on indexing will be appreciated. Also, I'm thinking of doing this
>on FileMaker Pro. Has anyone had much experience with this software, and
>would you recommendn it? I'd like to stick with fairly common,
>off-the-shelf software--any other recommendations?
>
>Please email me directly at [log in to unmask]
>
>Thanks,
>Edith Crowe

David L. Austin
Architecture and Art Librarian