Forwarded from Gay-Libn and the Museum-l list; thinking that ARLIS folks
could help out.
I have been asked to write a short essay on museums,
historic sites and monuments that collect, interpret or commemorate
lesbian and gay history in the United States.  The essay is for a
publication on civil rights in the U.S.

I'm interested not only in institutions with a strong focus
in lesbian and gay history (e.g., Truman's Capote's boyhood home) but
also museums with good lesbian and gay history collections
that are not part of any permanent exhibitions (e.g., the papers of an
early gay rights group housed at a state historical society).  I am also
interested in hidden or disputed history, on the order of Jane Addams'
circle of friends and lovers(?) at Hull House.  I am less interested in
temporary exhibitions, since the publication is a reference book,
presumably with a long shelf life.

Could folks help me by letting me know what places you are familiar with
(or even have just heard of) that fit the bill?

Many thanks!

--
Farar Elliott
Executive Director