May 31, 1999 is the deadline for submitting program proposals for the
ARLIS conference in Pittsburgh March 16-22, 2000 to Program Chair Mona
Chapin (email [log in to unmask]). What programs would you like to see the
Section sponsor? What ideas have caught your imagination. Among the
possibilites floated to me have been SACO & subject heading construction,
Metadata--How it is used in cataloging in reference, its relation to
traditional cataloging, training book-based catalogers to use metadata.

Please forward any proposals to me by May 27 to be considered for
sponsorship or co-sponsorship. If the deadline for the ARLIS/NA 2000
conference seems too close at hand, proposals for ARLIS/NA in 2001 will
also be gratefully accepted.

Thanks.

Carol Pardo
Cataloging Section Moderator