Dear members,

At the Architecture Section business meeting in Vancouver, several of us
expressed an interest in forming an accrediation standards discussion
group.  (This also happened at the Academic Libraries Section meeting).
Architecture Section members discussed asking the Board to write to the
NAAB Accrediation Board to express our interest in working on new NAAB
accreditation standards.  We also expressed an interest in making sure
visual resources curators participated in this discussion.  Since then, I
have received a note from Kathy Brackney of the Association of Architecture
School Librarians who already mentioned to the NAAB Board that ARLIS/NA
should also be involved in developing these standards.

I have submitted a request for meeting time at the next conference for the
Accreditation Standards Discussion Group.  I would like to hear from
members who are specifically interested in discussing NAAB standards and
working with AASL members to propose revisions.  (See timeline in Kathy's
memo below).  In Vancouver, Elizabeth Byrne, Jeanne Brown, and I expressed
an interest in this.  Please send me your name and directory information if
you would also like to participate in this important discussion.

Best wishes,

Janine J. Henri
ARLIS/NA Architecture Section Moderator

>Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:23:02 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Kathy Brackney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Edited message (you can forward this to the list)
>Janine:   As you know, Elliott Pavlos, the new Executive Director of the
>NAAB, requested a meeting with AASL at our recent conference in Minneapolis
>to discuss revising the accreditation guidelines for architecture
>libraries.  I was asked to "facilitate" this meeting, because Mr. Pavlos
>was a professor of architecture here at Georgia Tech for many years.
>Several topics were discussed, but the major issue on the agenda was the
>current minimum standard of 5000 NA volumes.  In his message below, Mr.
>Pavlos describes "new directions" for the NAAB, and advocates "...freeing
>the present constricted library collection requirements (for 5,000 NA
>titles), by developing a new broader standard that recognizes the breadth
>of the profession and the diversity of programs."  He has asked for AASL's
>involvement in recommending a new standard, by October, 2000 (when the
>NAAB's next validation conference takes place).
>
>We had a friendly discussion with Mr. Pavlos, William Miller (Dean of the
>Graduate School of Architecture, University of Utah), and Rodner Wright
>(Dean of the Florida A&M School of Architecture).  We agreed to work with
>the NAAB, but stressed that ARLIS/NA's Architecture Section should also be
>involved.  Kay-Logan Peters (U. of Nebraska-Lincoln), Irene Askelson (North
>Dakota State U.), and I have volunteered to serve on what is intended to be
>a joint AASL/ARLIS committee.  Deborah Thompson-Wise (University of
>Tennessee-Knoxville) has also volunteered.  She is active in both groups,
>and recently helped write a proposed revision of the planning library
>guidelines for the CPL.
>
>Mr. Pavlos has asked us to give him a "progress report" by July, when the
>next NAAB executive board meeting takes place in Washington.  I know that
>this matter came up at your meeting in Vancouver.  Could you explore it
>further with members of the Architecture Section?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Kathy Brackney
>Architecture Librarian
>Georgia Institute of Technology
>404-894-4877
>

>To: Kathy Brackney <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Elliot Pavlos <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Meeting with AASL at ACSA
>
>Kathy:
>
>There are two ways to describe the new directions for NAAB:
>1) very much in response to the Boyer Report and its call for diversity of
>programs, there is much more emphasis on a school's strategic plan,
>mission, and self evaluation.  The NAAB would like to see schools defining
>their own individuality and direction based on their local situation: who
>they are, where they are located, the emphasis of the university, etc.,
>measuring this through their own self-evaluation and the NAAB's evaluation
> [...]

Head Librarian
Architecture & Planning Library
The General Libraries/P.O. Box P
The University of Texas at Austin