Kathryn Wayne suggested that I post some information about submitting
material to Update, Update schedules, and Update deadlines to ARLIS-L.  So:

Update appears 6 times a year: February (issue #1); April (#2); June (#3);
August (#4); October (#5) and December (#6).  Each issue has a submission
deadline two months before the cover date: December 10 for the February
issue; February 10 for the April issue; April 10 for the June issue, and so
on.  Material submitted after the deadline delays editing (which is the part
I do), which delays production (which is done at association headquarters),
and distribution (which is done through  a mail house.)

Each issue also has a scheduled set of columns and I remind columnists of
the scheduled deadlines a few weeks before the submission deadline.  I
expect to send a list of  specific deadlines to each columnists as soon as I
get a chance.  Roughly, though, divisions and sections publish 3 times a
year; other groups (chapters, round tables...) twice a year. Time sensitive
information appears as needed and feasible, given the long publication
process. An article from the president or a designated Executive Board
member appears in each issue.

In general, too, submissions should be under 500 words and it's fine to
submit much shorter columns.  Because the conference proceedings are
published separately, column editors should not use Update to report on
conference meetings and sessions  after the conference; notification of
sessions and meetings at future conferences are fine, as are reports on
conferences of other organizations.

While I prefer submissions pasted into e-mail (my e-mail system often turns
attachments into gobbledygook), contributors can send copy on diskette or
paper through the mail, or fax (508 999 9240).

If you have any questions, please contact me at [log in to unmask] or 508
999 8526. I hope this clarifies some of the questions.

Linda Zieper
Update Editor

p.s.:  Column editors scheduled for issue #3 (June) are reminded that the
submission deadline was Saturday; please let me know when I can expect your
copy? Thanks!