Aloha!
Since I am a newbie, I'm not sure if this topic has been already discussed
at length. If so, please direct me to the ARLIS-L archives site!
If not, here goes: I am assisting in the creation of our museum archives.
However, since I have no archives coursework or experience I am in the
dark about this. My predecessor arranged that all printed materials
relating to
exhibitions (catalogs, invitations) and newsletters be archived. We also
have news clippings, photos, and catalogs of the museum collections in
archives.
The problem is that we have boxes and boxes of departmental files(mostly
from the Director/Associate Director, Public Relations, Development and
such) which
are of undetermined status. My boss says that most of this stuff can
probably be tossed, but I am unsure as to what would fall into the
archival category. Most of the accounting records have been separated from
the other departments.  Has anyone on the list ever worked on such a
project?
Specifically I am looking for a list of selection criteria which would
pertain to museum archives in particular. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Christine Wilson
Librarian
Honolulu Academy of Arts