------------------
Any chance of increasing participation in the garden tour with the addition =
of
more buses?

Anu Liivandi
Assistant Curator
NEAC - Textiles =26 Costume
Royal Ontario Museum
=3Canu=40rom.on.ca=3E

=3E=3E=3E Kathy Zimon =3Czimon=40ucalgary.ca=3E 03/01 10:38 AM =3E=3E=3E

=3E               11TH HOUR VANCOUVER CONFERENCE BULLETIN
=3E
=3E       By now, most of you have registered for the Vancouver
=3E Conference, but if you haven't, it's not too late.  It's also not
=3E too late to opt into some of the wonderful tours that you
=3E couldn't make up your mind about, but are still available.
=3E
=3E       For those arriving on FRIDAY, March 26, tour =233 and =234
=3E are still available.  Tour =233,  at 2:30-4:00 p.m., is for all
=3E modernist architecture buffs.  A post-war building boom was a
=3E bonanza for local Vancouver architects and resulted in many fine
=3E buildings which are still extant.  Tour =234, 3:00-5:00 p.m.,
=3E features the Vancouver Public Library, Moshe Safdie's (of Habitat
=3E fame) controversial design, selected by the public's popular
=3E vote.  If you happen to catch a glimpse of this building from the
=3E right vantage point, it looks for all the world like a giant
=3E cardboard cut out of the Colosseum in Rome.  The effect is
=3E magnified by its terra-cotta colour, a very odd hue among the
=3E greens, greys, and blues of the north-west coast.  These tours
=3E are repeated on WEDNESDAY, March 31, as tours =2313 and =2314, at
=3E 10:00-12:30 and 10:00-12:00 noon, respectively.
=3E
=3E       Not-to-be-missed on SATURDAY, March 27, 10:30-4:30 p.m.,
=3E is tour =235 to the University of British Columbia, my former alma
=3E mater, out on Point Grey, on some of the most desirable real
=3E estate in Vancouver.  The Museum of Anthropology, by Canada's
=3E best known architect, Arthur Erickson, is the star of this tour.
=3E It has Haida treasures, totem poles, Bill Reid's Raven and the
=3E First Man sculpture, and a view to die for.  The Museum also has
=3E an innovative accessible storage/display system that I haven't
=3E seen anywhere else. The Chan Centre for the Performing Arts,
=3E which is very new, was designed by Vancouver architect Bing Thom,
=3E who was my classmate in a design fundamentals course taught by
=3E Vancouver sculptor Lionel Thomas, whose favourite word was
=3E 'haptic'.  I never knew what that meant, but obviously, Bing Thom
=3E did.  You will also see library buildings, old and new, and a
=3E clock tower, which, during the irreverent 60's when I was a
=3E student there, was referred to as 'Ladner's Erection' - Ladner
=3E was the donor, and the powers that then were, were NOT amused.
=3E This tour also includes lunch at the First Nations Long House,
=3E where you can sample typical native cuisine.
=3E
=3E       Also on SATURDAY, 10:00-2:00 p.m., is tour =236, to
=3E Chinatown, the 2nd largest in North America.  You will visit the
=3E museum in the Cultural Centre, and the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese
=3E Classical Garden, the first full-sized such garden outside of
=3E China, which was also included on tour =231, Vancouver Gardens, if
=3E you missed out on that.
=3E
=3E       More SATURDAY tours available are =238, 11:00-2:00 p.m.,
=3E South Granville Gallery Row, 12 commercial galleries in 8 blocks,
=3E featuring mostly contemporary Canadian and West Coast art.
=3E Tour =239, 1:00-5:00 p.m., is Art on the Fringe, visits to small
=3E alternative galleries conducted by a local artist.  Tour =2310,
=3E 2:00-4:00 p.m., is to Historic Gastown, the site of old
=3E Vancouver, named after saloon keeper Gassy Jack.  Some of the
=3E original buildings have been turned into condos, art galleries,
=3E and classy boutiques and restaurants.
=3E
=3E       WEDNESDAY, March 31, tours still available are=2312 to
=3E Seattle, 7:30-11:00 p.m.  Canadians going on this tour must have
=3E i.d., proof of citizenship or passport, or you may not get back.
=3E This tour visits  the Seattle Asian Art Museum, Pioneer Place and
=3E Pike Place Market downtown, the Seattle Art Museum designed by
=3E Robert Venturi, and the Henry Gallery at the University of
=3E Washington.  Lunch is on your own, dinner is included.
=3E
=3E       Also available on WEDNESDAY is tour =2315, 10:00-12:30
=3E p.m., (not included in the preliminary program), which is a
=3E repeat of tour =232, the Art Deco Walking Tour, featuring the
=3E Marine Building (1928-1930) by McCarter and Nairne, as well as
=3E the Hotel Vancouver which is of the same period and style.  A
=3E member of the Art Deco Society will be your guide.
=3E
=3E       Personally, I wish I could go on all these tours,
=3E although I have seen most of the Vancouver highlights, and you
=3E won't be sorry if you go.  Happy Sightseeing=21
=3E
=3E Kathy Zimon
=3E Vancouver Conference Program Co-chair

Kathy  E. Zimon                         Library, LT 116F
Fine Arts Librarian (Emeritus)          University of Calgary
Adjunct Assistant Professor             2500 University Dr.N.W.
Department of Art                       Calgary AB T2N 1N4
                                        Ph: (403) 220-6097 FAX: 282-6837
                                        e-mail: zimon=40acs.ucalgary.ca