------------------
Greetings to all=21  With the 1999 ARLIS/NA conference fast approaching =
Public
Library Division members will want to mark on their calendars several =
important
events scheduled this year in Vancouver.

The annual business meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 30th from 11:00 =
am to
12:30 pm.

Items on the agenda will be the selection of a moderator/Update column =
editor
(you'll remember that we combined the two positions into one) for the next
conference year and discussion of the 2000 ARLIS/NA conference in =
Pittsburgh,
PA.  The conference program chair, Mona L. Chapin wrote that the theme will =
be
=22Links to the Past--Bridges to the Future=22 and asked that we discuss any=
 ideas
we might have for programs or other contributions.

The Update column.  We could probably make better use of this feature of
ARLIS/NA membership.  Possibities include highlighting the public libraries
located in or near the upcoming conference locations, renovation or building
plans undertaken or planned=3B new technologies and material recently =
acquired or
anticipated, etc.  There are many possibilities for increasing the value of =
the
Update column,

Another subject which we might revisit is the establishment of a Public =
Library
Division list as a forum for public library issues.  The need for such a =
vehicle
may be more apparent now that many of us have access to the Internet.

We have scheduled a discussion group session following the business meeting
(March 30) from 1:00 to 2:30 pm.  Members who were at the San Antonio =
conference
in 1997 might remember that we had a very stimulating exchange of ideas and
=22how-we-do-it-at-our-library=22 testimonies at that time.  There is strong=
 support
for making this an annual event.

Last, but certainly not least, will be a panel session entitled =22Is My =
Artist
Listed? Bibliographic Instruction for the Public in Artist and Price =
Research=22
on Sunday, March 28, from 3:30 to 5:30 pm.  This very promishing program,
sponsored by the Public Library Division, was put together by Jill Connor =
(Brand
Library, Glendale (Calif.) Public library) and will be moderated by Jeri =
Byrne
(Beverly Hills Public Library).  We expect the program to be popular and =
highly
informative.

Please feel free to e-mail or telephone me concerning any items that =
individuals
would like to discuss at the business meeting.

I look forward to seeing everyone in Vancouver.

Carl R. Baker
Public Library Division moderator

Beverly Hills Public Library
Fine Arts Division