Suggest you check with Australian Library and Information Association
for qualifications  [http://www.alia.org.au/home.html] since the general
accepted level is eligibility for associateship to ALIA.

Summarised, it is possible to do a degree in librarianship or a subject
degree followed by a post-grad diploma in librarianship.   Requirements
vary as do rewards. e.g. some salary scales give weight to honours
degrees [4 years instead of 3] for the initial appointment level.

No official special requirements for art librarians but I always list
art history and languages as desirable on duty statements.

Information about specific libraries [but not staffing levels] is
available  on IDAL.

Staffing tends to be small but you could check specific libraries.

You could also send a message to ARLISANZ-L
[[log in to unmask]] but I would suggest you make your questions