There's no transferable virus on the ARLIS Website.  Please don't be
alarmed.

However, this is a time of year when your acting web administrator is
getting a lot of documents to mount or deal with.  Duke Library systems
informed me this a.m. that a new virus is out there which Virus Scan cannot
detect.  The safest way to avoid this or any virus, of course, is not to
open up the program or attachment from which it is sent.

This causes some problems for your administrator since so many documents
that come to me are not clearly labeled (or at least clear to me).

For the final mailings that you send me this week before the ARLIS
conference, would you either write "AWS" [ARLIS Web Site] or some other
notification in the subject line so that I am clear that this is from a
person who is sending me ARLIS business.

Thanks kindly,

Lee R. Sorensen
ARLIS/NA Acting Web Administrator and South Regional Representative
Box 90727
Lilly Library, Duke University
Durham, NC  27708-0727

Phone:  919/660-5994    Fax: 919/660-5999
www.lib.duke.edu/lilly/artlibry.htm

message text:

Be advised, there is a new Word Macro virus that is not detected by the
currently installed version of Virus Scan. The virus is a W97M/Class virus
and affects the file normal.dot (default template.) We are investigating
this and ensuring that the server is safe. We are also investigating the
propogation of updated software. In the interim, if you receive a Word
document, either as an email attachment or on a floppy disk, do not open the
file as your first option. Be a little suspicious. If you don't know that it
is clean and don't know what to do, ask for help before doing anything. If
you do open such a file, Word97 will alert you that an automacro is trying
to execute and ask if you really want this to happen. If you didn't write
the automacro or don't know who did, answer 'NO' and alert LIS.

We will continue to investigate this.