Thanks, Ted, for those perhaps more accessible references.
And note that the author of the second article, Rhodri Windsor
Liscombe, is one of the speakers at the Plenary Session, Monday,
7-9 p.m., on Vancouver's Public Libraries: Place, Function and
Symbolism in the Late 20th Century.  I am sure Rhodri won't mind
my saying that his accent will seem very appropriate in the
ambience of a CPR hotel where traces of British heritage are
still evident.
Kathy Zimon

> In addition to Kathy's book citation, you can also read about the
> "Chateau style" of these hotels in two articles:
>
> Rose, David. "The Canadian Railway hotel revisited: the Chateau style
> hotels of Ross & MacFarlane." in Society for the Study of Architecture in
> Canada. Bulletin, 1993 June, v.18, n.2, p.32-42.
>
> Liscombe, Rhodri Windsor. "Nationalism or cultural imperialism?: the
> Chateau style in Canada." in Architectural history, 1993, v.36,
> p.127-144.
>
> We are certainly in for a great treat!
> Ted

Kathy  E. Zimon                         Library, LT 116F
Fine Arts Librarian (Emeritus)          University of Calgary
Adjunct Assistant Professor             2500 University Dr.N.W.
Department of Art                       Calgary AB T2N 1N4
                                        Ph: (403) 220-6097 FAX: 282-6837
                                        e-mail: [log in to unmask]