Now that the Vancouver Conference is almost upon us, I am
reposting the TIPS FOR MODERATORS in case any of you missed it,
although I am sure that you are all ready and prepared for all
your sessions.  Please ignore the points that no longer apply
because we are so close to D-day.  See you soon in Vancouver!

> > TIPS FOR CONFERENCE SESSION MODERATORS
> >
> > The moderator of a conference session is often the coordinator of
> > that session.  Please familiarize yourself with the following
> > suggestions.
> >
> > BEFORE THE CONFERENCE
> >
> > 1. Make sure that your speakers can present their ideas within
> > the 2 hours allotted each session.  Allow time for introductions,
> > movements of speakers to and from the podium, and a question and
> > answer period afterward. For example:
> >
> > 5 speakers @ 20 min. each     leaves only 20 min.for
> >                               introductions, Q & A, etc.
> >
> > 4 speakers @ 20 min. each     leaves 40-45 min. for intros,etc.
> >

> > 5 speakers @ 15 min. each     leaves 40-45 min. for intros,etc.
> >
> > Whichever configuration is chosen, be sure that the speakers know
> > that they will not be allowed to encroach upon another speaker's
> > time and that, if necessary, you will stop them in
> > mid-presentation. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SPEAKERS FINISHING
> > ON TIME AND FOR THE SESSION'S TIMELY COMPLETION.
> >
> > 2. Encourage the speakers to provide an annotated bibliography for
> > the audience when applicable.
> >
> > 3. If any of the speakers is to be paid an honorarium (remember,
> > Arlis members do not get such compensation) - be sure that the
> > honorarium is authorized by the conference progarm co-chair
> > and that there are no misunderstandings about the amount.
> >
> > 4. Keep in contact with your speakers in order to assist them
> > with any queries they may have regarding their presentations.
> >
> > 5. Obtain vitae from the speakers in order to introduce them
> > accurately.
> >
> > 6. Make sure that the av needs of the speakers have been
> > communicated to the appropriate conference co-chair.  DO NOT ASK
> > FOR EQUIPMENT THAT WON'T BE USED.  Provide an estimate of
> > the expected size of the audience, if possible.  It
> > will help in the room assignments and in calculating the number
> > of copies required for bibliographies and handouts.
> >
> > 7. Choose a reliable recorder for the session.  Notify the progam
> > co-chair of your selection.
> >
> > AT THE CONFERENCE
> >
> > 8. Meet the panel prior to the start of the session in order to
> > check the av equipment; BE SURE THAT THEY KNOW HOW TO WORK THE AV
> > EQUIPMENT THEY HAVE REQUESTED - AV IS ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE
> > BUDGET ITEMS IN THE CONFERENCE, AND SHOULD NOT BE WASTED.
> > Remind the speakers of time limitations.
> >
> > 9. Place any material to be distributed at a convenient location
> > within the room, and announce its location.
> >
> > 10. Open and close the session on time.  Keep within the time
> > allotted to the session, to enable your audience to attend all
> > their chosen sessions.
> >
> > AFTER THE SESSION
> >
> > 11. Be sure to thank your speakers, not only in person, but
> > preferably with a follow-up thank you letter as well.
> >
> > 12. Bring a cover sheet to give to the session recorder which
> > includes the precise session title, each speaker's name and
> [...]

Kathy  E. Zimon                         Library, LT 116F
Fine Arts Librarian (Emeritus)          University of Calgary
Adjunct Assistant Professor             2500 University Dr.N.W.
Department of Art                       Calgary AB T2N 1N4
                                        Ph: (403) 220-6097 FAX: 282-6837
                                        e-mail: [log in to unmask]