>               11TH HOUR VANCOUVER CONFERENCE BULLETIN
>
>       By now, most of you have registered for the Vancouver
> Conference, but if you haven't, it's not too late.  It's also not
> too late to opt into some of the wonderful tours that you
> couldn't make up your mind about, but are still available.
>
>       For those arriving on FRIDAY, March 26, tour #3 and #4
> are still available.  Tour #3,  at 2:30-4:00 p.m., is for all
> modernist architecture buffs.  A post-war building boom was a
> bonanza for local Vancouver architects and resulted in many fine
> buildings which are still extant.  Tour #4, 3:00-5:00 p.m.,
> features the Vancouver Public Library, Moshe Safdie's (of Habitat
> fame) controversial design, selected by the public's popular
> vote.  If you happen to catch a glimpse of this building from the
> right vantage point, it looks for all the world like a giant
> cardboard cut out of the Colosseum in Rome.  The effect is
> magnified by its terra-cotta colour, a very odd hue among the
> greens, greys, and blues of the north-west coast.  These tours
> are repeated on WEDNESDAY, March 31, as tours #13 and #14, at
> 10:00-12:30 and 10:00-12:00 noon, respectively.
>
>       Not-to-be-missed on SATURDAY, March 27, 10:30-4:30 p.m.,
> is tour #5 to the University of British Columbia, my former alma
> mater, out on Point Grey, on some of the most desirable real
> estate in Vancouver.  The Museum of Anthropology, by Canada's
> best known architect, Arthur Erickson, is the star of this tour.
> It has Haida treasures, totem poles, Bill Reid's Raven and the
> First Man sculpture, and a view to die for.  The Museum also has
> an innovative accessible storage/display system that I haven't
> seen anywhere else. The Chan Centre for the Performing Arts,
> which is very new, was designed by Vancouver architect Bing Thom,
> who was my classmate in a design fundamentals course taught by
> Vancouver sculptor Lionel Thomas, whose favourite word was
> 'haptic'.  I never knew what that meant, but obviously, Bing Thom
> did.  You will also see library buildings, old and new, and a
> clock tower, which, during the irreverent 60's when I was a
> student there, was referred to as 'Ladner's Erection' - Ladner
> was the donor, and the powers that then were, were NOT amused.
> This tour also includes lunch at the First Nations Long House,
> where you can sample typical native cuisine.
>
>       Also on SATURDAY, 10:00-2:00 p.m., is tour #6, to
> Chinatown, the 2nd largest in North America.  You will visit the
> museum in the Cultural Centre, and the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese
> Classical Garden, the first full-sized such garden outside of
> China, which was also included on tour #1, Vancouver Gardens, if
> you missed out on that.
>
>       More SATURDAY tours available are #8, 11:00-2:00 p.m.,
> South Granville Gallery Row, 12 commercial galleries in 8 blocks,
> featuring mostly contemporary Canadian and West Coast art.
> Tour #9, 1:00-5:00 p.m., is Art on the Fringe, visits to small
> [...]

Kathy  E. Zimon                         Library, LT 116F
Fine Arts Librarian (Emeritus)          University of Calgary
Adjunct Assistant Professor             2500 University Dr.N.W.
Department of Art                       Calgary AB T2N 1N4
                                        Ph: (403) 220-6097 FAX: 282-6837
                                        e-mail: [log in to unmask]