----------------------------Original message---------------------------- The art catalogers of NYC have been discussing the implementation of form subdivision by LC. Here's a message and response that has circulated around the catalogers. Anybody else want to jump in? Sherman Clarke - NYU ------- Forwarded Message Follows ------- Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 16:14:52 -0500 From: "Fermon, Danny" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: RE: is PHOTO, ARTISTIC a form heading? To: "Fermon, Danny" <[log in to unmask]>,[list of names deleted for space reasons] Is a monograph by Ansel Adams of photographic works of Yosemite National Park about Yosemite or Adams? Many users believe a book of this sort is about Adams, but that just doesn't hold up under scrutiny; it's an artistic statement by the photographer. A book of poems about the natural wonders of Yosemite would never be regarded as a book about the author (except, of course, in the broadest poetical sense--which is useless for us catalogers). Presumably there should be a 655 for the poetry. So, if it's about Yosemite, the heading, Photography, Artistic, should be coded 655. Only if it were considered to be about Adams and his artistic output would Photography, Artistic, be encoded 650. But that doesn't make sense for most of the monographs of this sort. Danny Fermon Assistant Librarian Museum of Modern Art Library [log in to unmask] (212) 708-9434 > -----Original Message----- > Dear CDG colleagues and artnacoisti, > > At the last NY CDG meeting, we discussed LC's implementation of the > form subdivision. We have been having "how should we do it?" and > "what's a form subdivision?" discussions here at NYU. Today, one of > the copy catalogers came to me with this question: should I code > "Photography, Artistic" as a 655? I'd guess that more than 90% of the > 6XXs I've done of that heading were for examples of artistic > photography, not ABOUT artistic photography. Yet, somehow the thought > of blithely coding Photography, Artistic as 655 was horrifying; is it > just the maintenance question? > > Maybe I'll put form headings and subdivisions on the CPDG agenda for > Vancouver. SAC is already talking about another Form Forum for ALA > Annual this summer in New Orleans. > > Sherman