I have wondered about the same thing myself.  Is is possible for ARLIS to
arrange to have
good-quality tape recorders in each session room?  Then all we would need are
volunteers to transcribe the session for the website (although I imagine
the technology is
there to put the "sound bytes" on the web site also).

At 04:50 PM 3/2/99 -0500, you wrote:
> I have often wondered about the problem
>of recorders at ARLIS conferences. It is
>quite out of date for a human being to
>record the presentations verbatim when
>tape recorders do it more easily and
>efficiently? Why dont we just use tape
>recorders and sell the tapes to members
>who cant attend a session and want to
>hear what was presented and to members
>who want to attend several sessions
>presented at the same time, etc, etc, etc,
>It would be a good way to make some
>money for ARLIS/NA?
>
>I am sure someone must have worried
>about this question before I have raised
>my electronic hand. What is the history on
>this musing?
>
>Roberta Geier
>National Gallery of Art
>Washington DC 20565